Silicone lubricants are favorite to many. Either you love it or hate it. But it’s the kind where you get the most “bang” for your buck since it lubricates for days. haha
Silicone is made from synthetic materials and the content of the lubricants is only a few items such as Dimethicone, Dimethiconal and cyclomethicone. There are different “grades” of silicone so not all are made the same. Depending, on their “recipe” it can range from thick to baby oil thin. Just like water-based lubricants they are sometimes additives that make it softer and a moisturizer like vitamin E. But there isn’t too much of a variety for silicone other than quality.
- Great for girls who are sensitive down there. Since silicone’s main components are Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, and Cyclomethicone which means bacteria will not stick around since it doesn’t have a living things or plant polymers to cling to.
- The consistency and viscosity of silicone is similar to oil and petroleum-based lubricants but is more body friendly internally.
- It’s like a slip and slide! Water just glides over it! So, if you would like to have some fun in water (shower/baths… pools/hot tubs) it will work extremely well.
- It stays on twice as long in comparison to a water-based lubricant.
- Silicone doesn’t need to be applied as much or the same quantity used as a water lubricant.
- Condom friendly.
- Stains the sheets and fabrics, so bring out the Oxy-clean to get those stains out, or else it’ll look like you ate fried chicken in bed.
- You will need soap and water to remove it completely off your skin since it will leave a film and slick coating.
- You are limited to using silicone with certain sex toys since it will break down the materials of your toy, making it melt and have a gummy-like texture. Silicone lubricant on a silicone toy almost bonds together which makes it porous and susceptible for infections. Even though many people don’t notice it visibly as much, once the materials have degraded, it becomes a hazard to use the toy since it becomes a bacteria party waiting to join in on the vagina fun.
- The cost of silicone lubricants are more expensive than water or oil-based lubes. BUT since you use less, the price is pretty comparable at the end of the day.